NOTE: This article refers to a setting that is reserved for system supervisors or administrators. Please contact customer support at email@example.com for access.
In this article we will go over what a company password policy is, and how to reset your company password policy.
What is a Company Password Policy?
A company password policy refers to the minimum requirements that are set to qualify a password for use within Guardtek and the m-Post app.
Guardtek sets 7 standard password policies as the default for creating passwords. The standard password policy defaults are as follows:
- Minimum Number of Characters for a password = 8
- Lowercase Characters are not required
- Uppercase Characters are not required
- Number Characters are not required
- Special Characters are not required
- The Password automatically expires in 6 months (180 days)
- The number of previous passwords that cannot be reused is 4
This default standard allows for a wide range of simple password to be acceptably created and used. The more simple a password the more easily it is remembered by the user.
For example, using the defaults a password such as "officers" would be acceptable.
If however, you would like to add an extra layer of security and complexity to the minimum requirements of passwords, for example "John$Phone20" you can change the defaults and set your own company password policy.
NOTE: Under the default password requirements a user can create a complex personal password with a combination of upper and lowercase characters, numbers and special characters, they just would not required.
How to Set Your Company Password Policy
If you would like to change any part of your company password policy from the standard default to you can edit all 7 password requirements.
To set your company's password policy:
1. Log onto your GuardTek web portal as a Supervisor.
2. Hover over the Settings module and click on Account Settings.
3. Click on the Security Setup module.
4. The 7 standard password policies will display and you can edit any or all of them.
Minimum Number of Characters (1) The default is a minimum of 8. To change it click the field and type in a new higher minimum number of characters you would like.
The Lowercase Characters required (2) default is No. To make lowercase characters required in a password toggle the answer to Yes.
The Uppercase Characters required (3) default is No. To make uppercase characters required in a password toggle the answer to Yes.
The Number Characters required (4) default is No. To make uppercase characters required in a password toggle the answer to Yes.
The Special Characters required (5) default is No. To make uppercase characters required in a password toggle the answer to Yes.
The Password Expiration (6) default is 180 days. You can change the automatic password expiration time frame by clicking the field and typing in the number of days before expiration between the range of 15 and 1825 days.
The number of previous passwords that cannot be reused (7) defaults at 4. To increase or decrease to the number of previous passwords that cannot be reused click the field and type in the new number of the company policy.
5. Once all edits have been made and the company password policy has been set click the green Update (8) button to save.